WhAt A DaY!!

I am currently in Dehradun for Rural Internship for a month!
Rural Internship is a course at our university where we need to stay in rural areas for a month and understand the technology gap prevailing there!
So here I was, I had been allocated Dehradun after assiduous efforts ! But finally I got it and we had our own bucket list! I am here with 3 more friends! Fortunately it is turning out more exciting than predicted!
                                       
I have not posted anything till now about this so just giving a gist...
We are right now in a place which is located in a valley because it is deep down here, a long slanted poorly built route making a way through the hills and forests landed us here! It is surrounded by forests all around, a river named Asan flows across and there is a leopard around!
Here the temperature falls down sharply as the sun gets down! And in the morning , the expected fog is there, the environment is pious but accompanied by the background music of our shuddering movements.
People here are nice. The owner of this “Swechik Sansthan ” (he doesn’t like the word NGO, has his own reasons) , is a very reputed person , a padam bhushan award recipient, renowned environmentalist, most people know him here! Anyways what;s different in this day?

Here it goes!
We are given strict instructions to be ready by 8:30, have our breakfast till 9 and meet Sir at 9 every morning! Now you can imagine how disappointing, pathetic, troublesome this rule would mean to us, who have a time lag of 6 hrs than the rest of the world. We have our own morning and night but this person, the head of HESCO told us the importance of rising sun, I do believe that but I suppose we have grown too old to believe in this logic! (#Sarcasm)  After all, needs drive a person .
So here I was, I managed to get up by 9, after getting refreshed my RI partner told me that Sir is calling to discuss about the report flow (we have been asked to make a report here, on GEP: Gross Environmental Productivity , well that’s an awesome measure to strike a balance between industrial growth and condition of natural resources, it would require another post for me to describe this concept in detail, anyways good news is that through the efforts of Sir, Uttarakhand Gov. has implemented this measure! )
Hmm, so we went there, he wasn’t there so we picked out Times Life and Times of Doon newspapers gaping across his table and started reading. His loud voice soon stroke our ears and next moment he was there. The conversation proceeded after the formal wishes and we convinced him of what we were about to do in the project. He was very happy and contended. The meeting ended soon.
I came back, with my playlist on, I started capturing  snaps (at all possible unique angles :P ) of the natural habitat. I was analyzing the right angle of taking a pic when he called me! He has a small vehicle, I can’t describe it well but it is very old , similar to Luna I can say!
He asked me, I am going to visit a Khadi Fair, you want to come? I was already a bit bored by the mundane weekly routine so I readily agreed, he said “par beta, yeh vehicle chota hai, sambhal k bethna padega!” (Daughter, this vehicle is quite old and small so you need to sit cautiously). I was so much in a mood to cross the premises, without giving a thought I agreed, so there we went! God, what a gruesome vehicle it was! He started communicating, beta how is the city,. He speaks in English and then jumps to Hindi, he tries to understand our lifestyle but he wants us to inculcate the Indian culture deep into our roots! Somewhere, he is right but somewhere we have got a point!
To sort out this battle of now and then seems impossible, there lies no acute answer to that!
Anyways, it was a really long distance, we communicated a lot talking about the politics, the culture, belief in God, career . He has a weird habit of communicating with all the kids passing by on road.
Finally we reached there. I felt in mid as if I was with my grandfather. He treats us in that manner!
I purchased a few items of my choice, ate my favourite items, somethings were so interesting, I forgot for the time being with whom I was, now I wanted to purchase and it was last day of the trade fair, so I just didn’t care, Generally, people are afraid of him and feel reluctant to put their wishes out in front of him!
Meanwhile, people were wishing him and the formal talks were done which are mostly not so interesting!
So there I was after panoramic view of the fair, again ready for the horrified  ride. I just checked my mobile with lots of missed calls, I gave a strange, bit long glance to the mobile and kept that in my side pocket (dropping the idea of keeping it in jeans pocket). The  ride began and suddenly in the mid I realized something had just fallen down. I checked my pocket mobile was not there :O
He stopped some distance ahead, meanwhile a person came and said your mobile has fallen down there, I ran to that site but till then there was no mobile. I called the number but it was switched off!
I checked the place  twice or thrice but there was not even the slightest trace of where it went, Definitely someone  “” had picked  that and everyone was saying “Madam gya aapka mobile ab!” (You won’t get the mobile back now!) I had an eerie feeling that I will get it back but it was not that reassuring! (It was so because I had lost it several times earlier and somehow it returned back to me).
Had I been alone I would have recovered my mobile anyhow, but then I was not, so I finally decided it would be good to get back to HESCO, without wasting anyone’s time.
During the entire incident Sir was trying to reassure me, but only I knew what all was there in my mobile, it was like one era stored in that, so many memories and contacts, all gone! Now this doesn’t mean I was addicted to it but definitely it hurts a lot! Moreover my playlist! I was in a shock , I can realize it now!
So we returned back, I decided to buy a new one, (and right now I have it, it’s awesome! :D) We talked about the incidents of the day! Everything till now was unexpected, appreciation of the project, offer for the “joyride”, fair visit, losing mobile! I thought it was a bad day! But it was too soon to classify it  as one!
                         
HESCO - here we are!
Here, in villages, we have small 3 steps staircase at the beginning of any house.It so happened that I was returning back to my room, some thoughts were wandering at the back of my head when my foot just stroke against bottom step of the staircase and the next moment I found myself lying on the floor! Oh yes, I was injured, much in the same way that used to happen when I fell down in childhood days ,while playing outside my home!
 All scratched and swollen I was lying on bed, surrounded by friends (well this is a strange feeling) anyhow, first aid was done and after a while I decided to jot down the entire day in my diary!
So it was a day! Totally unpredictable, I won’t classify it as good or bad but it was unique enough to break off the monotony.
Since, I am writing this a day later let me include a bit of today, I with my friend on scooty(we managed to get one) traveled through the city of Dehradun today!  No idea of roads, directions, people it was an adventurous ride today with intriguing fun! :P

Sorry for such a long post but the content worth it I suppose!  Lets see how the days to come will unfold! 

Comments

  1. It seems you loved your rural internship experience. Well, so did I, but not the working part. The other half where in we sauntered on beaches. Otherwise, the post was really long, its god that you already apologized. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Length is proportionate to the number of events that day! Thanks for noticing the apology!
      You guessed it right, RI was simply awesome! :D

      Delete
  2. Hey very well written blog. Me and my friend are also planning to visit Dehradun and hire a activa and visit surrounding places like mussoorie and hills. Was wondering if the hill roads are safe to ride and if you rode scooty to mussoorie and hilly areas? Did you used to switch off the engine and ride on downslopes there? Need some tips, Regards, Kusum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kusum! Dehradun is a beautiful place to visit , however I won't suggest you riding down the slopes since the terrain is not that favourable. Have a fabulous trip!

      Delete
    2. Hey thanks for your reply. We shall stick to riding in doon itself and surroundings like Sahastradhara and maggi Point. Wondering if you rode in these areas and whether you used to off the engine of scooty and ride on slope roads. Thanks Kusum

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts